UNIVERSITY OF DAR ES SALAAM HUMAN RIGHTS ASSOCIATION (UDHRA)
DAR ES SALAAM,
.MOB ..0717 -082228 /0754710063./0783172394
MLIMANI HARD TALK ON HOW TO BATTLE ATROCIOUS KILLINGS OF ALBINO IN TANZANIA.
THE WAY FORWARD
BY UDHRA PRESIDENT ONESMO P.OLENGURUMWA
``A person who has not met these people and listened to them can take this as a simple issue, but it is really sad. We cannot let such people continue to kill others with impunity,`` said Pinda
Whereas human rights and freedom are inherent in all human beings regardless of their races, ethnicity, religion, gender or creed, and status. Constitution of the United Republic of Tanzania,particularly Artical 14 which provides that every one has the rights to live. UDHRA Pursuant to its constitution realizes the role of Universities in various matters concerning dignity and the rights of people. We conduct seminars, moot courts, workshops, panel discussions etc to raise awareness to the University community and entire country about Human rights issues,
. In the past 2 years this right has been increasingly violated in number of ways but mainly the killing of Albino. The vicious killings of Albino have become a National shame and embarrassment to our country. The current critical conditions towards Albino jeopardize their life.
Now therefore, UDHRA comes forward with the following recommendation as the way forward to end this sort of impunity.
1. The security forces, particularly Police force need to be closer to the matter to have immediate cease of the killings, saying it had negative impact to the country. Police Investigations Department should use its most endeavors to identify and reach to all people who are key engineers of the killings.
2. All people who were responsible fore killings of Albino, being directly or indirectly should be brought before the law. We as well suggest their trial to be in a different way .The ad hoc based Tribunal to prosecute the dealers and perpetrators of albino killings should be established closer to affected areas.
3. Dealing with this type of crime we need to involve the whole community to curb this problem. The principle of community based security should be encouraged. Community should vehemently condemn the killings. This is simply because all criminals are from the community; it therefore becomes easy for them to identify groups of people who are behind the killings
4. The campaigns against witchcrafts belief should be of priority. This campaign should be done in collaboration with National Council of Traditional Healers in Tanzania (BAWATA) .This will enable them to uncover fake healers and those who are fanning ritual killings..
5. This kinds of atrocities should be curbed once for all. Our country has worse history on the killings related to superstitions .We therefore suggest that we should check on the strength of security forces .There is laxity of our security forces hence this can be the reasons of this kinds of atrocities.
6. We also call up all Civil societies dealing with human rights issues in Tanzania to form a National Solidarity to condemns these heinous acts to ensure albinos like other citizens enjoy their fundamental rights to life, freedom and protection.
We lastly but not least keep on calling every one of you to take seriously the vicious killing of albino as our daily prayers.